Monday 3 March 2014

Fill Yerself up with these Awesome Paradoxes

I love to write here. Sharing my thoughts with all you guys increases my knowledge considerably (yours too, I hope. Hehe). Writing here is really special to me as I get to take a break from all my studies and just spill out the beans inside my mind. (Notice the last three words. No pun intended, ye dirty minds.)

So I was just studying Hindi for my last Hindi exam, which most probably will be my life's last Hindi exam, so I hope I do well in it. I chose French over Hindi, and I'm such a hypocrite for saying that Hindi should be compulsory. Actually, yes, it should be, it's our common mother tongue. But I'm such a hypocrite. Poor me.

In the last few days, I was getting really interested by those phenomena which we call 'paradoxes'. Well, in my own words, a paradox is something which contradicts the common truth. That's why I love them.
Paradoxes tell me that there should be no rules and if there are any, they are meant to be broken. Paradoxes attract me because they disobey nature. I admire rule-breakers.

Talking about rules, have you ever noticed that 'Break all the Rules' is a rule in itself? That's what you call a paradox.

I was just surfing through Quora and I found a question related to paradoxes. I found this there...
If the following scenario occurs, will the universe explode?
It is epic, indeed.

All I'm depicting here are some simple paradoxes. Now for some scientific ones which are really difficult to understand. If you can think, think. Think how a certain thing can be possible. If you think all these paradoxes through, your brain will certainly start working faster and... good luck for the exams!

So there's an omniscience paradox, which I understood after thinking for a really long time. This paradox proves that it's impossible for anyone or anything to know everything. You can never know that you know everything, because if there was something that you didn't know, you wouldn't know that you didn't know it. And because you can't know that you know everything, you therefore cannot know everything.

Confused? Good start.
My tip is that you read it sentence by sentence slowly and carefully and you'll surely get through all of it. Roger that?

Now here's one.

'The next statement is true. The previous statement is false.'
Which statement is true? If the first one is true then the next one is true so the previous one is false so the next one is also false which will make the first one true which makes the second one true so the first one is false... ARGHH!

I've probably exhausted your brain by now. Mine was too. After all, we aren't Sherlock Holmes. Oh, I just love to do this to others. But did I just do you a favour or bring you to a disadvantage? In the first case, your brain processes faster than before. In the second case, you're probably exhausted by now and want to just fall onto your side. Just leave it, then. All thanks to me.

One more thing, just one. Promise.

Last time I talked about time travel. So I was just reading and researching and adding to my mental store when I realised that if time travel will be possible in future, why haven't the earthlings in the future visited us till now? If a time machine would have been invented, they certainly would have travelled into their past and met us! This makes me really, really sad.

But what if all these scientists who are inventing and discovering new things have actually arrived secretly from the future on a secret errand and are working to improve their past in order to improve their future? But then the Grandfather paradox comes in.

This world is impossible. I still don't understand what paradoxes are meant to be to us - friends, or enemies?

No comments:

Post a Comment