Saturday 29 March 2014

A Scandal of Sorts - Ch 2

The coldness and seriousness of his voice surprised me. The fact that a man clad in a pink ballerina costume was showing such graveness in his conversation struck me as most ironical. I pointed to the bench which was earlier occupied by me, and we walked briskly over to the seat.

After an awkward silence, the man drew out some papers from behind his ear which had been tucked under his hairband. The situation seemed a bit humorous at first, but the papers were looking as if they belonged to the official lot (due to their small and boring font, I admit) that I remained quiet.

‘I believe you lost your father five years ago?’ The man took me by surprise as he spoke. ‘How do you know so much about me? That my name is Calverton?’

‘The reason is the same as why your father was wrongly sentenced to death. My brother shared his fate.’

I sat still for a moment, my body utterly motionless. This was someone who understood my problem, and the look of the papers in his hand suggested that he had some useful information. My mind flashed back to that moment of my life which the man was referring to…

‘All the evidences point in your direction, Mr Joseph Calverton. Your conviction is just.’

‘But you have to believe me! This is a plan, a plan to get me into jail! I’m innocent, for God’s sake!’

‘And what proof can you present before us to prove that? You are in a court. I am a judge, and my work is to be fair and just.’

‘Indeed.’

‘Your fingerprints, only yours, were found upon the knife that was used to commit the murder. The blood test proves that. The footprints found in the room matched with those of your rain boots, which is justified as a storm was raging outside. The victim was your landlord, to whom you couldn't pay the rent, being in such a tight situation as you were. So what better choice than to kill him?’

‘But, Judge, you have to understand! You have to let the guiltless out of a scandal!’

‘I hereby declare that death is the only punishment which can be given to sort out such criminals.’

As I came back to my senses, I realized that the man had been watching me. I took the courtesy of asking his name. ‘Ralph White, that’s my name.’ ‘So, what is this you hold in your hand, and why have you called upon me on such a night in such, well, err, clothing?’

The man laughed out loud, springing his head back and hitting his hands on the frock of his dress. ‘I wondered why you didn’t ask that yet. I’m an actor. Us actors are strange folk, Mr Calverton, which is evident from the fact that you are having the most important conversation of your life in an alley behind a theatre.’

The strangeness of the location of this meeting struck me, as I choked, ‘Most important – conversation – my life?’

No comments:

Post a Comment