Wednesday 8 February 2017

Things You Can't See

When I hold up my hand in front of me - cold, pale, still as a mind without imagination, do you see what I see? I'm not talking about the lines which seem to branch with every passing day and foretell the story of the next. Nor am I talking about the occasional moving blood vessel or ink stains scattered across.

If you go deeper into the maze, unraveling every passing mystery as you journey deeper and deeper inside, you will discover that true seeing is a journey inside - into the depths of this unknown world.

I do not perceive things at rest - my apparently still hand isn't so in my eyes. It is quivering with life - no, not the life defined by enzymes moving to and fro. I am on a stage deeper still - face to face with atoms.

What you might see as stillness isn't stillness at all. Millions of particles are constantly moving around obeying a beautiful set of rules which want to be discovered yet leave behind trails of uncertainty, while hinting at breaking those very rules again and again. I see things moving around which prevent my hand from collapsing into something invisible to the naked eye, things which channel an inner life beating through them like a force.

When I see my hand, I see all of nature, all of the universe, reflected in it. For in my hand, lies the answer. In my hand, lies the great imperative that exists as long as the universe does - science.

Science is nothing but a language to describe something you can't say through mere words - they aren't enough to talk to this universe and know what lies at the heart of it. Isn't it curious that when, searching for the truth, you find a proof for why the whole truth cannot be uncovered? Uncertainty - you try to know one thing and end up sacrificing another. All of this world, wrapped up in a choice.

What is even more fascinating is that this truth could transform at any instant of time. When you embark on this search, you never know whether what you uncover is true or not, because when you discover the detail with which everything has been mysteriously fashioned, it transforms into an illusion - like a still hand. Challenges, mystery, and at the end - who knows?

For at the close, it is the things that elude you, that you can't see, that make you see truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment