Sunday 21 February 2016

Sad Optimism

'I want to feel death', said a glad boy
'Free the weight pushing me down,
Let it fly, give air to a life of reality.'
In my heart, I could sense a frowning smile
How keen he is to be strong, know strength
To fall down steps, and claw back up
Embracing the world all this while,
I thought. So very naïve, that innocent dreamer
Smiling at the gift of suffering he
Was yet to receive, from skeptical hands.
My mind, it laughed with mocking pride,
'You, who deemed end as escape,
You, too weak to live with a hole
Too wise to see the innocence that
Resides in you, fearing alone.'
Easily said, I mused with apprehension.
Unexpected, heart-breaking, he knows not
About all logic turned to dust and woven into hope.
Easily said, I mused yet again
He knows not about the suffering of death.
And with an earthy jerk, I began to realize
I had reached the bottom, the end of the steps
But he was climbing, clawing towards the sky
Those steps he was preparing for all his life
Were already beneath him, vanquished with joy
For even death couldn't defeat that sad optimism
Brought on by naivety, to be nurtured by strife.

No comments:

Post a Comment