Monday 31 March 2014

A Scandal of Sorts - Ch 4

After I heard the big news, we pushed through the crowd of people, entering the flight which would take us to our destination. On enquiring, I found that the ticket checking counter had already been visited by my friend, but one question was nagging me in the head.

After we had settled down, I asked, ’What is all this? Why aren’t we going to Madrid, to my uncle? And you, mister, constantly surprise me by the vivid dresses of yours!’

‘Alright, let me explain. Firstly, look at yourself. By Jove! Rain boots and gloves? Now, listen carefully, don’t interrupt. Yesterday, when I went round the alley to the other side, I spotted some fresh footmarks on the gravel. Extremely fresh, they were. A few metres away, a notepad and pencil had fallen down. I picked them up and looked at the notepad. Parts of our conversation were quoted in there. Someone had been following us and listening to our conversation. Question is why these articles were thrown on the road. Not thrown, they had fallen down. Apparently someone had heard me coming towards them, so they got tense and ran away in a hurry. I followed the footprints, but they ended where the man’s shoes had dried off, so that was of no use.

‘I thought about it in my mind and came to know that the man was facing your back. He mustn’t have seen you. But he saw me, that is confirmed. The person knows that we were to go to Madrid this morning, and he may be following us. I changed my disguise to prevent him from recognizing us. And the plan’s changed. It’s Barcelona, not Madrid. From there we will go to Madrid by a car I have already rented. Welcome in advance.’

‘You seem to have done quite a lot of good work. I’m okay with the plan. However, my friend, why the bright pink suit? Why this,’ I grabbed the hat in my hand, ‘awkward yellow hat? People will stare at us and laugh at your choices.’

‘If I cared for people’s opinions, Pat, I wouldn’t have been an actor in the first place. It’s our work. And here, an actor’s helping you.’

I regretted my previous thoughts when I had cursed the guys. ‘Actors are better than the rest,’ I sang aloud, ‘actors know best.

Ralph laughed. ‘I hope it’s not meant to be sarcastic.’

The rest of our voyage was a quiet one. Ralph leaned back against the seat and snored with his mouth open. I had no idea what I was going to do during the rest of my journey. Maybe I should think about Spain. Who were these judges? Were they part of a criminal board that sentences innocent people to death? I shall know all in good time.

The flight made its landing, and I patted Ralph on his knee. He slowly opened his eyes, put on his hat, and shouted, ‘The game is on!’ All the passengers in the plane started and stared fixedly at us, trying to make us feel guilty.

‘What happened? Was it bad, or a good one?’

‘What, my dream? Well, I dreamed that the jailed people who were guiltless had suddenly turned to hulk and ripped the bars of the jail. Then there was some weird stuff about tribal dancing. Anyways, the game is on - for the man who has the most bizarre dreams in the whole wide world!’

No comments:

Post a Comment