Sunday 10 August 2014

The Reality of Religion

Religion - well, what do we think it really is? Most of us think that religion constitutes different sects of people having the same views and believing in the same ideals.

I disagree.

All of us are born into our religions. Since our birth, we are spoon-fed the different ideas that were laid down by the founder of that religion. As a Hindu, even before I know what Lord Krishna has really done, I am taught to worship him. Something similar to this may also happen in Christian or Muslim or Sikh households.

In short, instead of seeing the world through our own eyes and judging it on the basis of what we think and forming our own opinions, we are told the scheme of things which the religion says. Result? We see the world through biased eyes.

I think religion should not mark where a person belongs to or in how kind of family he/she was born. Instead, religion should be understood as a group of ideas, which can be followed by any person irrespective of their birth.

Why see the universe from just one point of view? From the beginning, the focus should be on teaching different ideas promoted by various people. You are free to follow the one which seems more plausible, or, better still, form your own set of ideals.

I don't call myself a Hindu, or a Muslim, or anything of that sort. I have views which range from Hinduism to Christianity to Islam. But it's not like only those ideals set in Hinduism appeal to me. I have read about these things, and have formed my own opinions.

So why trap your mind? Let the river of your mind flow to far-off lands and see the world in the eyes of a new-born!

No comments:

Post a Comment