Saturday 30 August 2014

A Letter To A Stranger

Dear Stranger,

For the first time in my life, I'm thinking about you. You, as a person, with a strong personality. You...

Every single day, you walk past me, completely unnoticed. You may be smiling, or you may be morose, but you go by with as lilliputian a presence as ever.

Because of your minute existence on my Road of Life, do I overlook you? Do I forget to appreciate your well-being, or mourn your dolefulness? Have I forgotten that you are as much a human as I am, with similar, even larger, difficulties?

Drowning in the sea of my own sorrow and disappointment, do I forget that you, who I see everyday, have a similar mind? That I have no right to blame Nature because Nature is unfair to everyone, including you and me?


I ask the world around me - why is this happening to me? Do I ever ask why it's happening to you? Or us? Consumed with myself I am, thinking I'm the most hapless person in this whole wide world. Now I realize, it's a big mistake.

You made me think, dear stranger. If life is unfair to everyone, why be sad about it? Why not live it as joyfully as possible, fulfilling your wishes and not getting depressed when they aren't? Along with it, why not make life a bit more fair for everyone - think less of ourselves and more of others? More of each other?

Our body is an effective mask, an illusion as strong as any, through which we fail to see the heart, filled with bundles of mixed emotions. I forgot that life is beautiful and complex, and that yours is as topsy-turvy as mine. 

Who knows what you're suffering from? Why you were compelled to do that thing? Take the jump, or fashion the blade?

I feel as much regret as you, as much felicity as you, keep as many expectations as you. Yet, there is the difference of the land and the sky between us. Then why not appreciate each other's existence, and exist together in harmony, complementing each other's presence on this earth? 

As I look at you, I try to imagine you at your home. There you are, sitting on the side of a sick mother, or carrying your dead father to the hospital. There you are, not able to get your wished-for job, seeing your dreams break apart. You may feel there's no one to understand you.

However, by thinking about this mystery you are trapped in, I feel empathy surge inside me, and I can proudly say, that I care for you, and I believe in you. 

From now on, I promise to understand you, and by doing that, understand myself to an even greater extent.

With Love,
Another Thoughtful Stranger

No comments:

Post a Comment