Monday 21 April 2014

A Scandal of Sorts - Ch 7

‘Who gets to breathe such clean, fresh, pollution-free air in the busy streets of industrial London?’

The road to Madrid was paradise. As much as it was a mission for us two men to fulfill, it showed itself as a holiday. The air renewed our tired lungs and the blowing air whispered in our ears and massaged our skulls. It was a refreshing journey.

However, the tension still inhabited the air, causing our faces to turn around intermittently to spot any person who might be following us. 

I was the driver and was enjoying driving the amazing SUV while the task of keeping a watch was assigned to my friend. There was a constant smile on my face throughout, which was quite the opposite of the expression which adorned Ralph’s face.

Ralph’s hand flew to the back of his neck, slowly pressing it. His mouth was making aah and ooh sounds while his pain was relieved.

‘Don’t forget to look backwards, forwards, sideways, in all directions!’ I warned.

‘If you think this is so easy a work, Mr Patrick Calverton, you should do it yourself. It’s actually a pain in the neck.’

‘Whatever.’

‘Oh yeah? Stop the car. I’m driving. I bet you should experience what I was doing the past few hours.’

In the next few hours I found myself trying to find an excuse so that I could get myself out of the position of constantly turning my neck to look for a culprit. Fortunately, my non-attentiveness did bring fruit.
I was looking around myself for an object which might give me an inspiration for inventing a believable excuse. Scanning the interior of the car carefully, I caught my reflection in a small circular lens hidden behind the rear-view mirror. I came to my senses.

‘Aha!’, I shouted. ‘Until now we have been getting that neck pain for absolutely no reason, there’s no reason to look behind. Here the culprit is hidden in front of us. Presenting… a spy camera!’

‘Search! There may be more.’

He stopped the car and we looked around, but failed to find another. We had no option other than continuing our journey.

‘Now, Pat, not a moment to lose! Remove the camera and throw it outside!’

I made a face in front of the minuscule camera and finally threw it into a pile of dog poop.

After a couple of minutes, the ringing phone interrupted my amusement. I slowly received the phone, squeaking, ‘Hello?’

A frantic voice spoke on the other side. ‘Pat, my dear! I’m your Uncle here. I think someone’s following me, I feel a bit in danger. I need you, my boy. Arrive here as fast as you can!’

The car raced on at an increased speed of hundred and twenty kilometres an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment