Sunday 20 April 2014

A Scandal of Sorts - Ch 6

I opened my eyes the next morning with my mind completely occupied with the memory of yesterday’s incident. How and why were such fishy things happening all at once? Firstly, the face of the taxi driver was extremely familiar. Secondly, the taxi was a stolen one, although it had been returned to its previous owner. The water in which the fish was swimming was very obscure, indeed.

So, naturally, I decided to ask Ralph regarding his views.

‘Hey, Ralph, remember the taxi which drove us here yesterday?’

‘Yeah, I guess. Why?’

‘Did you see the face of the driver? Wasn't it a bit seen-before types?’

‘Why, of course not, Pat. Where had you seen him before?’

‘In the last taxi-‘ I stopped mid-sentence, realizing where I had seen that face before - I hadn't even met Ralph when I took the taxi from my house to the theatre, and that’s where the man appeared for the first time. The blood drops on the dashboard were as clear in my memory as fresh water. Divulging the details to Ralph, including those of my encounter with the owner of the taxi the previous day, I asked what he could make of it.

‘Well, one thing, Pat, you have to make sure you aren’t getting hallucinations or something, ‘cause this is like drama in real life. You have given me a very good idea for a play.’

‘I can assure you that these happenings are as real as me. Are we in danger, Ralph?’

‘I don’t know, Pat. All these things are so curious that the result can be stranger than ever. Who knows? We may even die. However, I think – ‘

‘Yes? What do you think?’

‘Calm down, boy. I think that someone may be following us, or maybe you. If you saw this person twice in different taxis, he may have followed us all the way here, to Barcelona. Remember the footprints near the theatre?’

‘I think you’re right. We have to be cautious. Otherwise anything can happen.’ Pin-drop silence overtook the room after that. I was overwhelmed by a queer feeling. What would happen after this? Would we be able to succeed in our mission? Only time will tell.

‘It’s time!’ yelled Ralph.

‘What?’

‘Time we leave for Madrid. We have to reach your Uncle’s house before evening. Don’t want to wake him up at night, do we?’

‘Definitely not. If we’re too late, we might not be able to see if anyone’s following us, you know, because of the darkness.’

‘So come with me, Pat. Come outside.’

Outside, resided the coolest, shiniest, most adventurous of all vehicles – a Range Rover. ‘Ralph White, you are the best man I ever got the privilege of meeting.’

‘Let’s race on, then!’

No comments:

Post a Comment